Deborah's House Sewing Machine Project
About this Mission Project
Deborah's House in Tijuana, Mexico, provides shelter to women and children fleeing severe domestic violence. As they set out on their own, they face a harsh economy that pays less than $1 an hour, demands they work 50–60 hours per week and offers no child care.
Deborah’s House alumni want to create a sewing business they run themselves. The women will earn a salary three times higher than factory rates, which will allow them to spend more time with their young children.
This project will provide fabric and materials and help the women bid on contract jobs and market their products.
- $250 buys one sewing machine and all the materials for one family to join the project.
- $500 pays for one tenth of the building they’ll be using.
Mission Project Specifics
This project seeks to raise $22,000 to purchase industrial sewing machines, fabric, and secure use of the building. The purpose is to provide good income for former Deborah’s House residents so they can care for their families. This project will restore dignity to dozens of women.
This project will be managed by Cari Ruiz, the administrator of Deborah's House. It is anticipated that the project will improve the overall wellbeing of 40 women and nearly 100 children in the community.
Connect to this Mission Project
- Pray with Cari Ruiz and IM’s partners in Tijuana, Mexico, that this project will help dozens of women come together and work, finding strength in each other learn to live without fear of violence.
- Your donations make this mission project possible.
- To donate by check, write Deborah’s House Sewing Project/Mexico on the memo line and mail to International Ministries, PO Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851.
- Share this information with others in your community and in your church family.
- For more information, contact Chris Marziale.
Cari Ruiz, the administrator of Deborah's House, participates in a sewing workshop. These new skills will pay for her daughter Ana’s university studies in psychology.
Deborah’s House is looking for volunteers to come teach sewing for one month up to one year. They need two work teams to help with some construction too.