Jasmine, newly literate and confident in Bangladesh! She is hopeful about her future, and is committed to her children’s education. Jasmine is a leader in her savings group, has a successful small shop and is a great encourager of others.
About this Mission Project
Bangladesh has 3000 people per square mile but only 50% of them can read and write. Rural villagers are facing new challenges, and they need to be literate in order to understand and meet those challenges. They need information that is both practical and interesting so that they’ll want to continue reading and grow stronger in their literacy skills and in their faith.
Using old “Dick and Jane” materials in Bangladesh just doesn’t cut it. This project provides booklets on growing vegetables, raising chickens, making compost, clean water, nutrition, latrines, women’s legal rights, and other practical information necessary to improve the quality of village life.
- $100 will provide suitable books including short stories, Bengali folk tales and Bible studies.
- $250 will print 2 or 3 resource books on skills needed for rural life.
- $500 will provide a desk top computer for literature development.
Mission Project Specifics
This project seeks to raise $2,200 in the next two years to purchase and produce appropriate literature for new readers in Bangladesh. The purpose is to provide practical information to 7,000 families on village life skills by creating community libraries, and giving a greater knowledge of the Bible and its application. This project will be managed by Walt White, Global Consultant for IM in partnership with Symbiosis International in Bangladesh.
It is anticipated that this project will improve the overall health of village families, with an impact on children’s education in the some of the poorest districts of Bangladesh.
Connect to this Mission Project
- Pray with Walt White and his partners in Bangladesh that lives will be changed and saved to experience more of the fullness of life that God intends.
- Share this information with others in your community and in your church family.