Employment type: Full time- Hybrid Remote
Location: King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
The Controller is a hybrid remote position responsible for performing finance and accounting-related duties on a professional level. The Controller works closely with the AED for Operations in supporting International Ministries. This position oversees day-to-day financial operations for an annual budget in excess of $15 million, with responsibilities in monitoring cash flow, adherence with policy and procedures, internal controls, and financial reporting.
The Controller directly supervises a hybrid remote finance team which consists of an AR/GL accountant, payroll manager/senior accountant, and Accounts Payable Associate. The Controller directly supports the AED for Operations, occasionally the Executive Director/CEO, the Treasurer, and the Chair of the Board Finance Committee. The Controller communicates with both domestic and global staff across the entire organization on a regular basis.
Finance and Accounting Leadership
- Oversee day-to-day finance and accounting operations, including all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Support the AED for Operations in monthly financial reporting.
- Assist the AED for Operations with preparation of the annual budget and budget adherence monitoring.
- Plan for and manage all activity in support of the annual audit.
- Support the AED for Operations in engaging the board’s audit, finance and investment committees.
- Work with the Director of Donor Services and Organizational Effectiveness to recommend and implement process effectiveness and efficiency improvements.
Finance Team Leadership
- Supervise three Finance Team members with functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and restricted grants administration.
- Manage team members to ensure proper reporting is completed in accordance with the monthly closing schedule.
- Manage the service and function of payroll processing to ensure a high level of accuracy and timeliness.
- Promote a culture of high performance, accountability, quality, creativity and commitment to IM’s mission.
- Establish and monitor team performance in accordance with IM’s strategic goals, set objectives and priorities, and conduct regular performance reviews.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout IM; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Participate in regular meetings of the board’s Finance and Investment Committees, as well as Global Mission Team or other teams as required.
- Participate on job-sharing teams such as mail opening, kitchen clean-up, or committees.
Qualifications AND EXPERIENCE
Education, License, Certification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field required, MBA preferred.
- CPA desired
- 15+ years’ nonprofit fund accounting experience
- 5+ years supervising multiple accounting staff
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll and accounting for investments.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA)
- GAAP combined with strong technical nonprofit accounting background.
- IRS, fundraising (including deputized fundraising), grant making and OFAC regulations and sanction programs.
- Non-profit accounting, especially accounting for unrestricted, temporarily and permanently restricted net assets and endowments.
- Corporate cash flow management and techniques.
- Accounting for Annuities, Charitable Remainder Trusts, Pooled Income Funds and Split Interest Agreements.
- Technological soundness with advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software. Specifically, NetSuite, Microsoft Excel including pivot tables, and Microsoft Word.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allow for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize workload, multitask and problem solve.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance manage.
How to Apply
To apply, email HR@internationalministries.org. Identify in the subject line the position title and where you learned about the posting (e.g., Administrative Assistant – LinkedIn) and attach a current resume and supporting documentation for further evaluation of qualifications and experience. Thank you in advance for your interest in joining IM’s mission.
International Ministries is an EEO employer and provides a comprehensive and flexible benefit package. A detailed description of this position is available upon request.