December: What a year this one has been! Thanks for sharing it with us in the blessings and also in the challenges. It’s been a while since we last wrote a yearly letter so we deemed it appropriate to recap this time for everyone’s benefit.
We thank the Lord for the blessings:
- Our first year in Colombia. It included visits to and ministry in Bogotá and surroundings (Bosa, Boyacá, Zipaquirá, Guatavita, Sopó, Tenjo), Cartagena (Barranquilla, Santa Marta), Cali (Mondomo, Vilachi), Medellín, Cúcuta (Migrants Road, Pamplona), and The Guajira (Riohacha, 3 Rancherías).
- The opportunity to support the promotion of the Global Baptist Peace Conference, held in Cali in July with more attendance than was expected.
- The opportunity to be the first American Baptist global servants to serve the Wayuu in The Guajira, invited by our national partner UNIBAUTISTA.
- The opportunity to meet and support Venezuelan migrants in Colombia through the FBC Cúcuta, a Colombian Baptist Churches’ congregation.
- The opportunity to be closer to Carlos’ family and friends; and, for us to live in Colombia as a family, for the first time since we married in 1989.
- The opportunity to see God at work through His provision in this new venture of faith.
We thank the Lord for the challenges:
- Not being able to stay in Cartagena and moved to Bogotá. Cartagena was too hot while Bogotá was too cold for Mayra’s mom. Weather challenges!
- The Venezuelan migrants in Colombia are so many. There needs to be a joined effort to support them. Many of them are grateful and hard working!
- The Rancherías in The Guajira lack electricity and running water yet its people are worth the effort to get to them. They are hungry for the Lord!
- We began our second year of this term to Colombia from the USA. Mayra’s mom got ill with vertigo flying out of Colombia and was forbidden to fly. We have continued our assignment as intended from this different place!
- All moves have challenges and increased expenses. We are dealing with both from our 68th move and appreciate your loving support and prayers!
- October marked the start of the new two-year budget cycle and all global servants are impacted by the increase of the mission support services costs of our personalized support goals. New and increased support pledges are needed and appreciated, especially for those of us commissioned pre-2010 who are now as responsible for 100% of the 100% of our PSG budgets as our post-2010 colleagues! You can pledge your new or increased commitment of financial support here: https://portal.internationalministries.org/global-servant-support
We are extremely thankful to the Lord for:
- 31 years of meeting each other as of July 27th and 30 years of marriage as of September 3rd
- 19 years of missionary commissioning as of August 4th and of missionary enlisting as of July 1st
- 10 years of pastoral ministry ordination as of October 25th at FBC of Caguas by the Baptist Churches of Puerto Rico, an ABC-USA region that to date sponsor 8 global servants
- 1 year of moving to Colombia as of September 27th and from starting our assignment to Colombia as of August 1
- Being together with Alberto, Carolina, Daniela, and Mayra’s mom for this Christmas and New Year’s
- His assurance, His calling, and His provision through His people! We are so blessed for His ever-expanding family from everywhere unto His eternity.
2020 will bring us more blessings and more challenges! We are planning our trips to Colombia. So, watch out! God’s faithfulness gives us the confidence that we will be able to face each challenge and then share a testimony. You continue to go with us to Colombia through your prayers, your encouragement, and your gifts of love. It is God’s mission and together we are His hands, feet, and heart to the people of Colombia, the Venezuelan migrants, and the Wayuu in The Guajira.
For a long time, we did not have an address in the USA to share (different than the King of Prussia one, of course). Now, besides continuing to communicate through email and social media, you can now write and mail directly to us to: PO Box 117 / Eustis, FL. 32727-0117
May you be blessed with your loved ones. Looking forward to your own update!
Stretching further toward the goal, wishing you a “Merry Christmas and 2020”,
your BGs Et Al
Find us on www.facebook.com/BGsEtAl and “Like” our page for updates and pictures of our ministry. If you’d like to reach us, send us your cell phone number and email via BGs Et Al’s inbox and we’ll be happy to connect with you as soon as we’re able!