Employment type: Part time, Exempt (approximately 20-25 hrs/wk)
Location: King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Application deadline: December 31, 2019 or until filled
Position Overview: The Short-Term Mission Associate is responsible for performing relational and administrative duties on a professional level to facilitate International Ministries’ Short-Term Mission (STM) programs as well as spearhead initiatives related to the engagement of youth and young adults in the work of International Ministries(IM). This position works in association with and under the supervision of the Director of ShortTerm Mission, and in collaboration with volunteer staff, Mission Mobilization Team, and the Global Mission Team.
- Build relationships for the promotion and support of STM with youth pastors, campus ministers, pastors and church staff members, and counterparts in the American Baptist Churches (ABC) and other mission agencies.
- Educate and advocate for best practices with STM colleagues and IM personnel, helping all to understand and support the special characteristics and needs of volunteers throughout the stages of preparation, service, and return.
- Promote STM and educate individuals and churches about the importance of STM through conference presentations, outreach to churches, campus ministry offices, and IM regions, and by writing and editing promotional materials, curriculum, IM journals and social media posts.
- Attend and actively recruit volunteers at IM and ABC related mission conferences and events, promote involvement of youth and young adults in short-term mission by reaching out to participants in youth conferences, regional and national youth and young adult gatherings, ABMen or ABGirls conferences.
- Work with Area Directors, global partners, and missionaries to develop volunteer opportunities; effectively communicate opportunities to IM personnel, IM partners and ABCUSA national and regional staff; and match opportunities with suitable volunteers.
- Recruit team members and leaders for IM-sponsored teams (such as Discovery Teams for young adult experiences), working with US and international personnel to plan and execute meaningful short (10 days to 2-years) term service opportunities that are aligned with IM’s Responding to The Call priorities.
- Respond in a timely manner to individuals inquiring about volunteer opportunities; screen prospective individuals and team members for physical, emotional, and spiritual suitability for mission experience; and accompany prospective volunteers in discerning their gifts and interests, in order to facilitate effective matching of persons with volunteer opportunities.
- Build relationships with volunteers, members of short-term teams and team leaders to assist them with spiritual, emotional and physical challenges experienced prior to, during and after volunteer service and equip them for cross-cultural mission service by providing logistical information and leading (and equipping others to lead) cross-cultural orientation trainings and post trip de-briefing and missiological training.
- Build relationships with IM global servants and partners as they host short-term mission volunteers and serve as relational bridge between volunteers and hosts.
- Provide clerical support including data entry of volunteer information in salesforce, STM recording system, general STM communications and correspondence, and maintaining confidential information received from volunteers (applications and references).
- Obtain and post volunteer stories and photos on the IM web site, as journal entries.
- Communicate effectively, which includes but not limited to, immediately informing STM Director and other appropriate IM Staff of any emergency issues and completing tasks in a timely manner.
- Maintain STM volunteer Manual, Standards of Excellence Notebook, Going with God Toolkit, STM marketing material.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as: youth ministry, urban ministry, cross cultural counseling or social work.
- Experience participating in and/or leading mission trips, campus ministry, church youth group, Bible study.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in cross cultural communities with volunteers and co-workers in a collaborative environment which impacts larger constituents and relationships.
- Ability to speak a foreign language desirable.
- Ability to articulate a biblically based theology of short-term mission.
- Proven ability to handle adversities with maturity to reflect and grow from experiences.
- Knowledge of ABCUSA and IM missiology, desirable.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office applications, including Office 365, SharePoint, Outlook, Word, and Excel and Social Media applications.
- CRM experience highly desired; specific application and experience in SalesForce.
- Desire and ability to establish relationships with IM global personnel and partners as well as U.S. and Puerto Rico partners and constituents.
- Desire to make an impact for Christ through involvement in God’s mission and have a servant’s heart and a calling to mission.
- Ability to work flexible schedule to meet the needs of Short-Term Mission goals to include night and weekend travels and engagements.
How to Apply:
To apply, email HR@internationalministries.org. Identify the position title and where you learned of the vacancy in the subject line. Attach a current resume and any supporting documentation for further evaluation of qualifications and experience. Thank you in advance for your interest in joining IM’s mission. International Ministries is an EEO employer and provides a comprehensive and flexible benefit package. A detailed description of this position is available upon request.
International Ministries, also known as the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society, works cross-culturally to invite people to become disciples of Jesus Christ and to proclaim, through both word and deed, God’s reign of justice, peace and abundant life for all creation.