Kim works with a team of indigenous leaders to manage a multi-faceted response to the needs of tribal peoples: HIV/AIDS prevention education, care for those who are HIV+ (including the House of Love for women and children affected by AIDS), ministry to people with disabilities, youth ministry and education and economic development work among migrants in locations spanning from traditional villages to urban slums. Kim carries out her ministry in relationship with the Thailand Karen Baptist Convention.
Kim writes – Prayer and Praise
- School’s out for the summer!! Our House of Love (HOL) students have finished another school year-thank you for your prayers for them! Now some will go to extended families for part of the school break, some will stay here at the HOL (and pray for staff who will need to keep the children engaged!) and 2 have work internships to do. As well, a few students still need to take entrance exams for their next school phase-please pray for this process-thank you!
- We have 6 children who have been referred to the House of Love-ranging in age from 5 to 14. Pray that staff will be able to discern who really needs to come to be a part of this special HOL family.
- Our House of Blessing (HOB) children will be starting their 6-week school break at the end of March. Please pray for safety for them as they sometimes are not carefully supervised. But our HOB teachers don’t have a long break-they will be interviewing new students for the term starting in May.
- And a big praise from the HOB-we had special financial gifts that mean that the rice program is fully funded. You may remember this is a program where parents of the children at the HOB sign a contract that their student will not work on school nights, in exchange for rice to help feed the family. The funds help to stabilize the families, keep these little children from begging on the streets, and encourage better school participation.
- And may I continue the praises? We had another special financial gift for the scholarship program for our HOB. This money provides for help after our children graduate from the daycare, providing needed funds for the youngest all the way to our college students. It is so exciting for me to see how God works through His people to care for these children! I am grateful!!
- I am so thankful for the wonderful music teacher we have at the Center for the Development of Persons with Disabilities (CDPD). The children had a special recital in February, and now they have been invited to perform at the Karen Baptist Convention! Exciting!! Pray for good discipline to be ready-and pray for joy as they share their talents.
- And praise God for the godly people who volunteer their time to serve on the board of the CDPD and the IMEMF. I am so thankful for the leadership both groups provide!
- For me, I am rejoicing that another group of HOL students are now moving into adulthood and moving out of the HOL to live on their own-but this also brings me challenges as to how to best stay involved in their lives. I would appreciate your prayers.